Resistance to DNA damage and enhanced DNA repair capacity in the hypoxia-tolerant blind mole rat Spalax carmeli
- Permanent Link:
- Resistance to DNA damage and enhanced DNA repair capacity in the hypoxia-tolerant blind mole rat Spalax carmeli
- Series Title:
- Journal of Experimental Biology
- Domankevich, Vered
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- DNA Repair ( local )
Hypoxia ( local )
Longevity ( local )
Cell Cycle ( local )
Genotoxic Stress ( local )
Cancer ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Blind mole rats of the genus Spalax are the only mammalian species to date for which spontaneous cancer has never been reported and resistance to carcinogen-induced cancers has been demonstrated. However, the underlying mechanisms are still poorly understood. The fact that Spalax spp. are also hypoxia-tolerant and long-lived species implies the presence of molecular adaptations to prevent genomic instability, which underlies both cancer and aging. We previously demonstrated the upregulation of transcripts related to DNA replication and repair pathways in Spalax. Yet, to date, no direct experimental evidence for improved genomic maintenance has been demonstrated for this genus. Here, we show that compared with skin fibroblasts of the above-ground rat, Spalax carmeli skin fibroblasts in culture resist several types of genotoxic insult, accumulate fewer genotoxic lesions and exhibit an enhanced DNA repair capacity. Our results strongly support that this species has evolved efficient mechanisms to maintain DNA integrity as an adaptation to the stressful conditions in the subterranean habitat.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.