Groundwater flood risk mapping and management: examples from a lowland karst catchment in Ireland
- Permanent Link:
- Groundwater flood risk mapping and management: examples from a lowland karst catchment in Ireland
- Series Title:
- Journal of Flood Risk Management
- Naughton, O.
Johnston, P. M.
Gill, L. W.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Floods Directive ( local )
Groundwater Flooding ( local )
Ireland ( local )
Karst ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The complexity of groundwater flooding poses unique challenges to policy makers and flood risk management agencies. An understanding of the interactions among recharge, storage and transport mechanisms during flood conditions is a precursor to effective groundwater flood risk assessment, but is often absent due to a lack of adequate data. The example of the Gort Lowlands, a major lowland karst catchment in the Republic of Ireland, is used to elucidate key flood mechanisms which must be considered when characterising groundwater flood risk in a lowland karst setting. The combination of large quantities of allogenic recharge, a highâ€capacity conduit system and deep surface depressions renders the catchment susceptible to groundwater flooding. Observed flood mechanisms include backwater flooding of sinks, overland flow caused by the overtopping of sink depressions, high water levels in turlough basins and surface ponding in local epikarst watersheds. Flood hazard maps are developed for the region using data collected during a major flood event in the winter of 2009, representing a significant contribution in the assessment and management of groundwater flood risk in Ireland. Major challenges to groundwater flood management and forecasting remain, however, and are discussed in the context of the prevailing hydrogeological and ecohydrological setting.
- Original Version:
- Journal of Flood Risk Management, Vol. 10, no. 1 (2015-01-16).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.