The historical use of water resources in karst
- Permanent Link:
- The historical use of water resources in karst
- Series Title:
- Environmental Earth Sciences
- Parise, Mario
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Karst Landscapes ( local )
Southern Italy ( local )
Hydraulic Works ( local )
Exploit Water Resources ( local )
Water Storage In Karst ( local )
Hydric Crisis ( local )
Droughts ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Karst landscapes are characterized by lack or scarce presence of water at the surface. Ancient populations had, therefore, to face the issue of water availability by gaining a deep knowledge of the territories where they settled. Several techniques were developed at this aim, until reaching a high level of capability to collect, transport, and distribute water, even at long distances. Many areas in southern Italy still nowadays present hydraulic works of remarkable interest and historical values, most of which develop underground for long stretches. The present paper is an overview of the main ancient works designed and built by man to exploit water resources in karst; it describes some examples of surface channels and underground aqueducts, together with other features used for water storage in karst. The lessons learned from the ability of ancient populations to use water resources in a sustainable way are worthy to be re-evaluated nowadays, in times when we are periodically facing hydric crisis and droughts.
- Original Version:
- Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 74, no. 1 (2014-09-16).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.