Surface landforms and speleological investigation for a better understanding of karst hydrogeological processes: a history of research in southeastern Italy
- Permanent Link:
- Surface landforms and speleological investigation for a better understanding of karst hydrogeological processes: a history of research in southeastern Italy
- Series Title:
- Geological Society, London, Special Publications
- Parise, M.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Small-Size Karst Landforms ( local )
Karst Systems ( local )
Inghiottitoio Della Masseria Rotolo ( local )
Southern Italy ( local )
Apulia ( local )
Cave ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Small-size karst landforms may potentially provide very useful information to fully understand the behaviour of karst systems and their dynamics. In this chapter we demonstrate the need to pay attention to such features. â€˜Inghiottitoio della Masseria Rotoloâ€™, located in a remarkable karst area of southern Italy, has in recent years become the most controversial and discussed speleological site in Apulia. Even though it has been known for several decades, recently excavation work has allowed cavers to enter a huge karst system, eventually reaching the water table. The total depth of the cave is now 324 m, making it the deepest in the region. This chapter summarizes the history of discoveries at the site, starting from the description of the polje, also including information about the link between toponymy and karst. The works carried out at the swallet site are then described to emphasize the importance of the often neglected small-size karst features. In fact, when carefully observed and studied, these might be able to shed new light and greatly increase our knowledge about karst. The final part of the chapter deals with the cave system and provides an outline of the ongoing research.
- Original Version:
- Geological Society, London, Special Publications, Vol. 466 (2018-01-25).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.