The effectiveness of protection policies and legislative framework with special regard to karst landscapes: Insights from Slovenia
- Permanent Link:
- The effectiveness of protection policies and legislative framework with special regard to karst landscapes: Insights from Slovenia
- Series Title:
- Environmental Science & Policy
- Ravbar, NataÅ¡a
Å ebela, Stanka
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Natural Resources ( local )
Ecosystem Services ( local )
Vulnerability ( local )
Karst Protection ( local )
Classical Karst ( local )
Management Approach ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Karst terrain offers a great range of economic assets, provides unique habitats and valuable ecosystem services. Owing to its particular nature, this environment is highly susceptible to destruction. Any interference is likely to have irreversible impacts and disturb the natural balance of the elements (water, soil, flora and fauna) and processes (e.g. corrosion, CO2 sequestration, speleothem growth) that constitute it. Karst areas must therefore be holistically managed in an appropriate and careful manner. A critical overview of current protection legislation in Slovenia has been prepared, with particular reference to karst areas. The major problem is a lack of harmonised multi-sector policies regulating land use and planning throughout the karst region, the absence of detailed guidelines and insufficient pursuance of karst in all its complexity and vulnerability. A comprehensive management approach for karst areas has been proposed and could subsequently be adopted by other karst-rich countries. Management is based on the enforcement of karst-specific legislation, including provision of detailed management plans and their strict implementation. Common database maintenance, reconciliation between various stakeholders and raising public awareness are additional important parts of the approach.
- Original Version:
- Environmental Science & Policy, Vol. 51 (2015-08).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.