Soqotra Karst Project (Yemen), 2000-2004
- Permanent Link:
- Soqotra Karst Project (Yemen), 2000-2004
- Series Title:
- Berliner Höhlenkundliche Berichte
- de Geest, Peter
- Speläoclub Berlin
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Habitats ( local )
Ecosystems ( local )
Caves ( local )
Karst ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This volume presents a summary of the Soqotra Karst Project (SKP) â€“ an ongoing multidisciplinary speleological investigation, focused on the island of Soqotra (Yemen). Palaeoclimate, biospeleological, archaeological and sustainable development studies are being conducted by Belgian experts in close co-operation with several Yemeni and other international project partners. This report is based on the recent â€œSoqotra Karst Project 2000â€“2004â€ (SKP 2005) publication that has been primarily released in Dutch and covers the six expeditions made by the SKP to Soqotra Island through December 2004. Since the first visits in 2000, a total of 28 caves have been mapped yielding 22 707 m of passageway. The longest cave explored so far is Giniba Cave at 7,5 km, while the deepest is Pit Cave (â€“145 m). Twelve more caves were visited but not surveyed, however three of them were sketched. Some of the caves provide significant freshwater resources. The scientific achievements with regard to speleothem dating are briefly explained, together with the biospeleological discoveries and intriguing archaeological remains found underground.
- Original Version:
- Berliner Höhlenkundliche Berichte, Vol. 20 (2006-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.