Geomorphology and hydrology of karst drainage basins and cave channel networks in east central New York
- Permanent Link:
- Geomorphology and hydrology of karst drainage basins and cave channel networks in east central New York
- Series Title:
- Water Resources Research
- Baker, Victor R.
- American Geophysical Union
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Surface water in the karst drainage basins of east central New York is collected by swallow holes on upland surfaces. Free surface streams, flowing through meandering cave conduits, provide links between the upland surface catchments and large karst springs draining into the major river valleys. Flow through the conduits fluctuates markedly with surface runoff. Mean velocities of 0.5 ft/sec were determined during a period of rapid snowmelt by dye tests. The cave conduits form an integral part of a drainage organization characterized by Horton's hierarchy stream numbers, lengths, and drainage areas. The conduits, the highestâ€order streams in the hierarchy, have meandering reaches with wavelengths directly related to upâ€stream drainage area and contributed runoff. Both the morphology of the cave channels and the hydrology of the karst drainage basins are strikingly similar to those observed in surface water stream systems.
- Original Version:
- Water Resources Research, Vol. 9, no. 3 (1972-10-02).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.