The dissolution of calcite in CO2-saturated solutions at 25 Â°C and 1 atmosphere total pressure.
- Permanent Link:
- The dissolution of calcite in CO2-saturated solutions at 25 °C and 1 atmosphere total pressure.
- Series Title:
- Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
- Plummer, L. Niel
Wigley, T. M. L.
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The dissolution of Iceland spar in CO2-saturated solutions at 25°C and 1 atm total pressure has been followed by measurement of pH as a function of time. Surface concentrations of reactant and product species have been calculated from bulk fluid data using mass transport theory and a model that accounts for homogeneous reactions in the bulk fluid. The surface concentrations are found to be close to bulk solution values. This indicates that calcite dissolution under the experimental conditions is controlled by the kinetics of surface reaction. The rate of calcite dissolution follows an empirical second order relation with respect to calcium and hydrogen ion from near the initial condition (pH 3.91) to approximately pH 5.9. Beyond pH 5.9 the rate of surface reaction is greatly reduced and higher reaction orders are observed. Calculations show that the rate of calcite dissolution in natural environments may be influenced by both transport and surface-reaction processes. In the absence of inhibition, relatively short times should be sufficient to establish equilibrium.
- Original Version:
- Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol. 40, no. 2 (1976-02).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.