Hydraulics of epiphreatic flow of a karst aquifer
- Permanent Link:
- Hydraulics of epiphreatic flow of a karst aquifer
- Series Title:
- Journal of Hydrology
- GABROVÅ EK, Franci
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Karst ( local )
Groundwater Dynamics ( local )
Epiphreatic Flow ( local )
Observation Network ( local )
Modelling ( local )
Kras ( local )
Carso ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The nature of epiphreatic flow remains an important research challenge in karst hydrology. This study focuses on the flood propagation along the epiphreatic system of Reka-Timavo system (Kras/Carso Plateau, Slovenia/Italy). It is based on long-term monitoring of basic physical parameters (pressure/level, temperature, specific electric conductivity) of ground water in six active caves belonging to the flow system. The system vigorously responds to flood events, with stage rising >100 m in some of the caves. Besides presenting the response of the system to flood events of different scales, the work focuses on the interpretation of recorded hydrographs in view of the known distribution and size of conduits and basic hydraulic relations. Furthermore, the hydrographs were used to infer the unknown geometry between the observation points. This way, the main flow restrictors, overflow passages and large epiphreatic storages were identified. The assumptions were tested with a hydraulic model, where the inversion procedure was used for an additional parameter optimisation. Time series of temperature and specific electric conductivity were used to assess the apparent velocities of flow between consecutive points.
- Original Version:
- Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 560 (2018-05).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.