Assessing karst-hydraulic hazards in tunnelingâ€”the BrunnmÃ¼hle spring systemâ€”Bernese Jura, Switzerland
- Permanent Link:
- Assessing karst-hydraulic hazards in tunnelingâ€”the Brunnmühle spring systemâ€”Bernese Jura, Switzerland
- Series Title:
- Environmental Earth Sciences
- Jeannin, Pierre-Yves
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Tunnel ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Drilling a tunnel in a karst region requires the assessment of disturbances in the hydrogeological functioning of aquifers and flow-systems as well as disturbances for the tunnel itself. A complete characterization of the karst hydrogeological functioning and the establishment of prevention measures are essential in order to insure a suitable construction. The paper relates investigations which were conducted in the frame of the construction of a safety gallery (Sisto) in the bernese Jura (Switzerland). This gallery is located close to the outlet of a regional karst system and parallel to an existing highway tunnel, which met numerous disorders in the past due to the intersection of active karst conduits with a discharge reate exceeding 1 m3/s. The KarstALEA method was applied along the Sisto trace in order to identify sections with a high probability of karst occurrences and to characterize the type of karst related problems. The main issue turned out to be related to water head and discharge, which could potentially be cut by the tunnel construction. The system discharge rate may frequently exceed 10 m3/s, and most of this water could potentially flow into the tunnel. Therefore, a hydraulic model was set up in order to assess expected flow rates and heads if conduits are intersected during the construction. Based on this model and on meteorological and hydrological real-time measurements, a predictive model was established in order to anticipate high-flows events.
- Original Version:
- Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol. 74, no. 12 (2015-06-29).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.