Connectivity in a Karst System Using Electrical Resistivity Tomography and Network Theory
- Permanent Link:
- Connectivity in a Karst System Using Electrical Resistivity Tomography and Network Theory
- Series Title:
- Gómezâ€Nicolás, Mariana
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Ring Of Cenotes ( local )
Sinkholes ( local )
Yucatán, México ( local )
Eight Electrical Resistivity Tomography ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The Ring of Cenotes (RC) is an alignment of numerous cenotes (sinkholes) in a semicircular form (with a radius of 100 km) located in northwestern Yucatán, México. The formation roughly coincides with a concentric ring that corresponds to a buried structure, which has been identified as the product of a meteor impact, known as the Chicxulub crater. Secondary permeability generated by the fracturing and faulting of the sedimentary sequence in the Chicxulub crater has favored the karstification process and therefore the development of underground rivers that transport water from the mainland to the sea. This study implements the network theory to study the hydrological connectivity between a group of 11 cenotes within the RC. Eight electrical resistivity tomography transects were used as an empirical basis. Each transect was acquired directly in the field using the SuperSting R1/IP equipment with a dipoleâ€dipole configuration. An adapted version of the reliability algorithm for communication networks was used as a theoretical model. We found evidence of the existence of water cavities in the study area. We made a network from the data and assigned connection probabilities among cenotes as a function of the separation length and the number of water cavities, as well as their size.
- Original Version:
- Groundwater, Vol. 56, no. 5 (2017-11-29).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.