The Chicxulub impact crater and its influence on the regional hydrology in Northwestern Yucatan, Mexico
- Permanent Link:
- The Chicxulub impact crater and its influence on the regional hydrology in Northwestern Yucatan, Mexico
- Rebolledo-Vieyra, Mario
Marin, Luis E.
Sharpton, Virgil L.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Chicxulub ( local )
Regional Hydrogeology ( local )
Northwest Yucatan, Mexico ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- In 1980 Luis Alvarez et al. proposed a revolutionary theory: the large mass extinction that occurred at the Cretaceousâ€“Tertiary (Kâ€“T) limit (65 million years ago) was a consequence of the impact of a large bolide with Earth (Alvarez et al. 1980). This theory was considered highly controversial, particularly because it took over a decade to â€œdiscoverâ€ the crater. However, research about these phenomena on Earth became relevant only a couple of decades ago. The investigations on some important craters, such as Sudbury crater (e.g., Dressler and Sharpton 1999), Manson crater (e.g., Grieve 1989), Popigai crater (e.g., Masaitis et al. 1999), and Ries crater (e.g., Stöffler 1977; Hörz et al. 1983; Newsom et al. 1990; Von Engelhardt 1990), along with about 120 other craters discovered so far on the surface of Earth, proved that these events are not as rare as once thought. With the discovery of Alvarez et al. (1980) it was also proposed that these kinds of phenomena might have had a relevant, if not main, role in the evolution of life on Earth. In this chapter we present a brief summary of the importance of the Chicxulub impact crater, its discovery, and how it influences regional hydrogeology.
- Original Version:
- Vol. 3 (2011-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.