Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst (2003)
- Permanent Link:
- Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst (2003)
- Beck, Barry F.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Sinkholes ( local )
Karst ( local )
Groundwater ( local )
Engineering And Environmental Problems ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Proceedings of the Ninth Multidisciplinary Conference on Sinkholes and the Engineering and Environmental Impacts of Karst, held in Huntsville, Alabama, September 6-10, 2003. Sponsored by the Geo-Institute of ASCE: the National Ground Water Association; P.E. LaMoreaux and Associates, Inc. This Geotechnical Special Publication contains 67 papers on karst terrain, which presents unique engineering and environmental problems. The top rock is highly irregular and the rock itself is often riddled with voids, creating unreliable foundation conditions. Precipitation drains down the rock rather than running off over the surface and erodes the surficial sediments downward, causing sinkhole collapse and ground settlement. Groundwater moves rapidly through dissolved drainage channels in the rock resulting in a turbulent flow, which allows pollutants to be transported great distances very quickly. Traditional groundwater quality monitoring systems as required by many regulations are inapplicable in karst terrains and may fail to detect contaminants. The unique set of problems requires new and innovative techniques developed by engineers and scientists from all over North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.