An analysis of the numerical solution of the transport equation
- Permanent Link:
- An analysis of the numerical solution of the transport equation
- Series Title:
- Water Resources Research
- G. Gray, William
F. Pinder, George
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Transport Equation ( local )
Oneâ€Dimensional ( local )
Convectiveâ€Dispersive Equation ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Various finite difference and finite element methods for solving the oneâ€dimensional convectiveâ€dispersive equation are investigated. A Fourier series analysis is performed to determine the dissipative and dispersive characteristics of these numerical methods. The analysis indicates that the commonly observed phenomenon of overshoot of a concentration pulse is due to the inability of the numerical schemes to propagate the small wavelengths which are important to the description of the front. Furthermore, the numerical smearing of a sharp front is due to dissipation of these small wavelengths. The finite element method was found to be superior to finite difference methods for solution of the convectiveâ€dispersive equation.
- Original Version:
- Water Resources Research, Vol. 12, no. 3 (1976-06-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.