- Permanent Link:
- Speleological investigations
- Series Title:
- Methods in Karst Hydrogeology
- Goldscheider, Nico
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Karst Hydrogeological Systems ( local )
Karst Aquifers ( local )
Drinking Water ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The main aim of this book is to provide an introduction to the most relevant investigation methods and techniques that can be used to study karst hydrogeological systems, including modern approaches to interpreting and modelling the data obtained. Studying karst aquifers is not only scientifically challenging, but it is also important for humanity. Ford & Williams (1989) estimated that 25% of the worldâ€™s population drink water from such resources. Although this number is probably an over-estimate, karst groundwater constitutes a crucial freshwater resource for many countries, regions and cities around the world. At the same time, karst aquifers are commonly highly vulnerable to contamination and are impacted by a wide range of human activities (Drew & Hötzl 1999). Bakalowicz (2005) noted that karst waters are often avoided as a resource if possible because of the perceived difficulties in exploitation and their high vulnerability. For example, around the Mediterranean, karst water resources are still under-exploited, and huge quantities of potential drinking water drain via submarine springs into the sea, even in regions with a shortage of freshwater. However, karst waters can be developed if general rules, specific to karst, are followed. The techniques presented in this book can assist in better exploiting and protecting these resources.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.