The PI method - A GIS-based approach to mapping groundwater vulnerability with special consideration of karst aquifers
- Permanent Link:
- The PI method - A GIS-based approach to mapping groundwater vulnerability with special consideration of karst aquifers
- Series Title:
- Zeitschrift Angewandte Geol
- Goldscheider, Nico
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- PI Method ( local )
Mapping Vulnerability Of Groundwater ( local )
Vulnerability Of Groundwater ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The PI method is a GIS-based approach to mapping the vulnerability of groundwater to contamination with special consideration of karst aquifers. Vulnerability is classified on the basis of the product of two factors: The P factor indicates the effectiveness of the protective cover as a function of the thickness and hydraulic properties of all the strata between the ground surface and the groundwater surface: the soil, the subsoil, the non-karstic bedrock, and the unsaturated zone of the karstic bedrock. It is calculated using a slightly modified version of a method proposed by Holting et al. (1995). The I factor (infiltration conditions) indicates the degree to which the protective cover is bypassed by surface and near-surface flow, especially if it occurs within the catchment area of a sinking stream. It takes into account the properties of the soil, land use and vegetation, the slope, and above all, the locations of karst features that allow surface water to rapidly enter the groundwater, for example via swallow holes.
- Original Version:
- Zeitschrift Angewandte Geol, Vol. 46, no. 3 (2000-01-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.