Terrestrial and marine electrical resistivity to identify groundwater pathways in coastal karst aquifers
- Permanent Link:
- Terrestrial and marine electrical resistivity to identify groundwater pathways in coastal karst aquifers
- Series Title:
- Near Surface Geophysics
- Oâ€™Connell, Yvonne
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Karst Aquifers ( local )
Groundwater Movement ( local )
Coastal ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Groundwater movement in karst aquifers is characterised by highâ€velocity fissure and conduit flow paths, and in coastal karst aquifers, these act as pathways for saline intrusion and freshwater discharge to the sea. This paper examines groundwater movement in two neighbouring catchments in the west of Ireland that represent canonical coastal karst aquifers dominated by discharges in the intertidal zone and at offshore submarine springs. Terrestrial and surfaceâ€towed marine electrical resistivity tomography, coupled with ancillary hydrogeological data, identifies the influence of faulting and conduits on groundwater egress/saltwater ingress. The onâ€shore and offâ€shore subsurface geometry of major fault zones is identified, and the tidal influence of seawater and groundâ€water flow is demonstrated in these zones and karst springs. Imaging of these subâ€surface structures is a preâ€requisite for numerical modelling of current and future climateâ€driven freshwaterâ€“seawater interactions in karst coastal aquifers.
- Original Version:
- Near Surface Geophysics, Vol. 16, no. 2 (2017-10-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.