Launch Complex 34 flame deflector (BR2293)
- Permanent Link:
- Launch Complex 34 flame deflector (BR2293)
- Collins, Lori D.
Doering, Travis F.
Gonzalez, Jorge ( Modeler )
Garcia, Noelia ( Contributor )
45th Space Wing of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station ( Sponsor )
- Place of Publication:
- Tampa, Fla
- University of South Florida Libraries
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Architecture ( lcsh )
Cultural property ( lcsh )
Science, Nature, and Education ( local )
3D model ( Format/Resource type )
Air bases ( lcsh )
Canaveral, Cape (Fla. : Cape) ( lcsh )
Heritage ( local )
History ( local )
Landmarks ( Getty )
Laser scanning ( local )
Nasa ( local )
Outer space ( lcsh )
Three-dimensional modeling ( lcsh )
- There were two flame deflectors made of steel frame, covered in 1â€ steel plates and with a 4â€ layer of heat resistant ceramic, that were available for Launch Complex 34. One deflector was used with the launch and the other was kept in case of any failure or need that might arise. These deflectors weigh over 150 tons and measure 43 feet in length, 32 feet wide, and 21 feet in height. They were moved to the pad or stored away via a rail system. These deflectors protected the vehicle and launch pedestal by diverting engine flames in controlled directions. Their inverted â€œVâ€ shape and their welded and bolted steel design is of a unique construction and engineering. Launch Complex 34 is where the tragic Apollo 1 incident occurred, and today these deflectors are a backdrop on the pad that stands as a memorial to that event.
- General Note:
- Hashtags: 3dmodeling, airforce, capecanaveral, heritage, history, landmark, laserscanning, nasa, space
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- U44-00005 ( USFLDC DOI )
u44.5 ( USFLDC Handle )
9de67ade8ee44a139bd4f476b18930ad ( Sketchfab:DataUID )
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.