The human cranial remains from Gough's Cave (Somerset, England)
- Permanent Link:
- The human cranial remains from Gough's Cave (Somerset, England)
- Series Title:
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum: Geology Series
- Humphrey, Louise T.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Gough's Cave ( local )
Cranium ( local )
Bones ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This study describes human cranial and mandibular remains from Gough's Cave. Age assessments for individual elements are made on the basis of modern dental development standards, dental wear and comparison with a recent skeletal sample of known-age individuals. Although the number of mature adults may have been underestimated, a minimum of nine individuals are represented â€“ one child, one adolescent and one older adult are later Holocene in age, there is one young adult from the Mesolithic, and one child, two adolescents, one young/mid adult and one older adult are Creswellian in age. Metrical analysis of the most complete crania is undertaken using other European Mesolithic and Late Upper Palaeolithic crania for comparison. The metrical analysis indicates that both Gough's Cave 1 and GC87 (190) are male. The results of the principal components analysis support stratigraphic and dating evidence that the Gough's Cave 1 cranium is derived from a more recent population than GC87 (190).
- Original Version:
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum: Geology Series, Vol. 58, no. 2 (2002-11-28).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.