The cavernicolous fauna of Hawaiianlava tubes, 1. Introduction
- Permanent Link:
- The cavernicolous fauna of Hawaiianlava tubes, 1. Introduction
- Series Title:
- Pacific Insects
- Howarth, Francis G.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Hawaii ( local )
Cavernicolous Fauna ( local )
Cave Slimes ( local )
Lava Tubes ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The Hawaiian Islands offer great potential for evolutionary research. The discovery of specialized cavernicoles among the adaptively radiating fauna adds to that potential. About 50 lava tubes and a few other types of caves on 4 islands have been investigated. Tree roots, both living and dead, are the main energy source in the caves. Some organic material percolates into the cave through cracks associated with the roots. Cave slimes and accidentals also supply some nutrients. Lava tubes form almost exclusively in pahoehoe basalt, usually by the crusting over of lava rivers. However, the formation can be quite complex. Young basalt has numerous avenues such as vesicles, fissures, layers, and smaller tubes which allow some intercave and interlava flow dispersal of cavernicoles. In older flows these avenues are plugged by siltation or blocked or cut by erosion.
- Original Version:
- Pacific Insects, Vol. 15, no. 1 (1973-05-20).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.