Waterâ€“Rock Geochemical Considerations for Aquifer Storage and Recovery: Florida Case Studies
- Permanent Link:
- Waterâ€“Rock Geochemical Considerations for Aquifer Storage and Recovery: Florida Case Studies
- Series Title:
- Developments in Water Science
- Arthur, J. D.
Dabous, A. A.
Cowart, J. B.
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This chapter investigates the three aquifer storage and recovery (ASR) facilities in Southwest Florida to understand waterâ€“rock geochemical interactions during the ASR process. Mobilization of metals from the Floridan Aquifer System (FAS) matrix during ASR activities is apparent and is likely due to a complex interaction of geochemical processes. The chemically heterogeneous aquifer contains metal-rich phases in sufficient amounts to become mobilized by oxidation or other processes to yield concentrations in recovered waters that may exceed maximum contaminant levels (MCLs). Arsenian pyrite is among the sources of arsenic and other trace metals in the aquifer; however, preliminary sequential extraction studies and work by other researchers suggest that phases such as organics contain As and other metals. Moreover, organic material may contain uranium, which is also thought to be associated with carbonate minerals in the Suwannee Limestone. Water-quality data from more than 15 cycle tests from three ASR facilities in Southwestern Florida indicate significant mobilization of metals into stored and recovered water during ASR.
- Original Version:
- Developments in Water Science, Vol. 52 (2005).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.