Upwelling Flow Velocity Preferences of Captive Adult San Marcos Salamanders
- Permanent Link:
- Upwelling Flow Velocity Preferences of Captive Adult San Marcos Salamanders
- Series Title:
- North American Journal of Aquaculture
- Fries, Joe N.
- Publication Date:
- San Marcos salamanders Eurycea nana probably lay their eggs within spring openings that presumably have varied flow velocities. To test for a possible preference in flow velocity, adult San Marcos salamanders were placed in systems with access to tubes with upwelling flow velocities of 1 and 5 cm/s. Their locations were observed during daylight hours and were considered to reflect flow velocity preference. Salamanders seldom changed location during the study. There was no difference in flowâ€velocity preference between males and females. Salamanders avoided tubes with 5 cm/s upwelling flow velocity and displayed a slight preference (one of four comparisons significantly different) for tubes with 1 cm/s upwelling flow velocity over not being in tubes at all. Salamanders occupying tubes tended to stay near the bottom. It is recommended that captive breeding systems for San Marcos salamanders should include some substrate (e.g., limestone rocks) through which water flows (some in an upwelling manner) with a velocity of about 1 cm/s.
- Original Version:
- North American Journal of Aquaculture, Vol. 64, no. 2 (2002-04).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.