Phreatic Hydrobiids (Gastropoda: Prosobranchia) from the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer Region, South-central Texas
- Permanent Link:
- Phreatic Hydrobiids (Gastropoda: Prosobranchia) from the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer Region, South-central Texas
- Series Title:
- Hershler, R.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer ( local )
South-Central Texas ( local )
Troglobitic Fauna ( local )
Hydrobiidae ( local )
Morphology ( local )
Systematics. ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This paper provides a systematic analysis of phreatic hydrobiids from 23 localities in southcentral Texas, including 14 artesian wells and four springs in the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer. Hauffenia micra (Pilsbry & Ferriss) and Horatia nugax (Pilsbry & Ferries) are redescribed as members of a new genus, and two additional new genera, seven new species and one new subspecies are also described (Table 2). Detailed morphological descriptions, provided for all taxa, emphasize characters of the shell, operculum, pallial cavity, digestive system, and reproductive system of both sexes. Two of the new genera are monotypic littoridinines having affinities with phreatic or epigean littoridinines from Mexico. The affinities of the third new genus, a hydrobiine which includes seven well-differentiated species, remain unclear. While all of the species are found in the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer, at least four of the species are probably found in other aquifers of south-central Texas as well. With the description of seven new hydrobiid species, the rich and still poorly sampled troglobitic biota of the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer now totals 39 troglobitic animal species, including four vertebrates.
- Original Version:
- Malacologia, Vol. 27, no. 1 (1986).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.