Defining Groundwater Flow Characteristics in the Northern Segment of the Edwards Aquifer Based on Groundwater Chemistry
- Permanent Link:
- Defining Groundwater Flow Characteristics in the Northern Segment of the Edwards Aquifer Based on Groundwater Chemistry
- Series Title:
- Austin Geological Society Bulletin
- Jones, Ian C.
- Austin Geological Society
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Chemical and isotopic compositions along two groundwater flow paths were used to characterize groundwater flow system in the northern segment of the Edwards (Balcones Fault Zone) Aquifer. Groundwater compositions reflect geochemical processes that the groundwater encounters along a flow path, for example, interaction with aquifer rock or soil, groundwater mixing, and recharge processes. Recharge processes can be investigated by comparison of conservative constituents in both precipitation and groundwater. Results of this study support groundwater flow model results that indicate that (1) groundwater circulation is most active in the unconfined part of the aquifer where most of the recharge occurs by infiltration through soil and intermittent streams and natural discharge occurs through perennial streams and (2) little groundwater flow enters the confined part of aquifer. The spatial distribution of groundwater flow in the aquifer produces compositional differences between groundwater in the unconfined and confined parts of the aquifer. Additionally, this study suggests that recharge to the aquifer occurs mostly during fall and winter months. This observation is based on stable hydrogen and oxygen isotopic compositions of groundwater and precipitation.
- Original Version:
- Austin Geological Society Bulletin, Vol. 2 (2006).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.