Open-system alpine speleothems: implications for U-series dating and paleoclimate reconstructions
- Permanent Link:
- Open-system alpine speleothems: implications for U-series dating and paleoclimate reconstructions
- Series Title:
- Acta Geologica
- Borsato, Andrea
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Open-System ( local )
Alpine Speleothems ( local )
U-Series Dating ( local )
Paleoclimate Reconstructions ( local )
U-Th System ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Open-system alpine speleothems: implications for U-series dating and paleoclimate reconstructions -The present work is a critical review of 130 alpha-spectrometric U/Th analyses of speleothems from north-eastern Italy. About 33% of measurements display activity ratios (230 Th/ 234 U)>1 while maintaining (234 U/ 238 U) close to unity, thus falling outside the closed system U-series disequilibrium fi eld. The open-system behaviour was mostly observed in speleothems that, based on geological data and petrographic observations, have experienced dramatic environmental changes, such as fl ooding of caves by glacial meltwater or dissolution by undersaturated waters. The paper discusses possible causes of the open-system behaviour in the U-Th system, and evaluates evidence for the U leaching vs. 230 Th introduction. By considering only samples which do not show the open-system behaviour and are not contaminated by detrital thorium, fi ve periods of active speleothem deposition have been identifi ed for north-eastern Italy: 0 to 10 ka, 40 to 63 ka, 88 to 100 ka, 140 to 160 ka, and 190 to 250 ka. Even in these, apparently good, data set, the ages of 140 to 160 ka might be affected by undetected 230 Th introduction, since they appear to be 20 to 40 ka older than the data obtained for the same paleoclimate period from European speleothems.
- Original Version:
- Acta Geologica, Vol. 80 (2003-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.