Coronaviruses in bent-winged bats (Miniopterus spp.)
- Permanent Link:
- Coronaviruses in bent-winged bats (Miniopterus spp.)
- Series Title:
- JOURNAL OF GENERAL VIROLOGY
- Chu, D. K. W.
Poon, L. L. M.
Chan, K. H.
Yuen, K. Y.
Peiris, J .S. M.
- Microbiology Society
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Miniopterus Spp. ( local )
Coronaviruses ( local )
Bats ( local )
Bent-Winged Bats ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- A novel group 1 coronavirus was previously identified in bent-winged bats (Miniopterus spp.). Here, results are described from our ongoing surveillance of these bats for coronaviruses. These findings show that group 1 coronaviruses are endemic in these bat populations in Hong Kong. Genetic analysis of these viruses indicates that there are at least four different, but closely related, group 1 coronaviruses (bat-CoV 1A, 1B, HKU7 and HKU8) circulating in bent-winged bats. Phylogenetic analysis revealed that these group 1 bat coronaviruses have descended from a common ancestor and that these viruses have been established in these bats for a long period of time. These data provide a better understanding of the emergence and evolution of coronaviruses. Bat-CoV 1A and 1B were detected in apparently healthy Miniopterus magnater and Miniopterus pusillus, respectively, on repeated sampling occasions at a single habitat, suggesting that these viruses have established a persistent infection in these populations.
- Original Version:
- JOURNAL OF GENERAL VIROLOGY, Vol. 87, no. 9 (2006-09-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.