Uâ€“Th dating of speleothems with high initial 230Th using stratigraphical constraint
- Permanent Link:
- Uâ€“Th dating of speleothems with high initial 230Th using stratigraphical constraint
- Series Title:
- Quaternary Geochronology
- Hellstrom, John
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Uraniumâ€“thorium dating of speleothem calcite has proved to be exceptionally useful in anchoring late Quaternary paleoenvironmental records, and is arguably the most robust geochronometer available over much of this period. Nonetheless, correction for the effect of 230Th incorporated at the time of deposition is extremely important, and has been approached in a number of ways. The use of stratigraphical constraint, that is the a priori requirement that any axial sequence of true ages must exhibit a monotonic increase away from the outer surface, is surprisingly uncommon given its advantages over other techniques. Here a simple numerical implementation of this technique is described, and contrasted with conventional isochron methods. Current practice in the correction of speleothem age determinations for initial Th is reviewed in the light of continued improvements in analytical precision, and is found to be inconsistent.
- Original Version:
- Quaternary Geochronology, Vol. 1, no. 4 (2006-12).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.