Innate Immunity of Skin Secretions in Bats
- Permanent Link:
- Innate Immunity of Skin Secretions in Bats
- Rios-Sotelo, Gabriela
- University of Nevada, Reno
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- White-nose syndrome (WNS) is an infectious disease caused by the fungus Pseudogymnoascus destructans (Pd) that has devastated bat populations in North America. There are different responses to infection among species but the underlying mechanisms that lead to interspecific susceptibility are unknown. A mammal, such as a bat, has a few critical defenses to a cutaneous fungal pathogen like Pd; one of which are antimicrobial secretions released from skin epidermal glands. I hypothesized that different species may have differentially effective skin antimicrobial compounds to inhibit Pd growth. To test this, I collected skin samples from multiple bat species in New Mexico and tested their ability to inhibit Pd growth in in vitro assays. I found that skin secretions from different bat species vary in their effectiveness at limiting Pd growth. These results offer an aspect of host defense that may contribute to future methods to determine susceptibility of bat species to WNS.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.