Shallow Subterranean Habitats: Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation
- Permanent Link:
- Shallow Subterranean Habitats: Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation
- Culver, David C.
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Aphotic Environments ( local )
Stygobionts ( local )
Subterranean Habitats ( local )
Troglobionts ( local )
Troglomorphy ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- What do wet spots in the woods, talus slopes in mountains, and cracks in the ceiling of caves have in common? They call into question the prevailing view that subterranean habitats are extreme environments with no light, no daily or annual cycle, and scant food. Different shallow subterranean habitats (SSHs) have little in common with caves except for the absence of light (â€˜aphotic environmentsâ€™) and a specialized fauna with a typical â€˜caveâ€™ morphology (â€˜troglomorphyâ€™). Fascinating habitats in their own right, they also hold the key to understanding adaptation to subterranean environments in general. Our task is to persuade the reader that these habitats are not only interesting and important, but that they are bound together by the shared characteristics of the habitats and their faunas, both troglobionts and stygobionts. The book, designed for graduate students and researchers in the field, will provide an extensive description of the habitats, their fauna, and the ecological and evolutionary questions posed.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.