Regional warmingâ€induced species shift in northâ€west Mediterranean marine caves
- Permanent Link:
- Regional warmingâ€induced species shift in northâ€west Mediterranean marine caves
- Series Title:
- Ecology Letters
- Chevaldonne, P.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Hemimysis ( local )
Marine Caves ( local )
Mysidacea ( local )
NW Mediterranean ( local )
Regional Warming ( local )
Species Shift ( local )
Thermotolerance ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The northâ€western Mediterranean Sea's high biodiversity originates from a mixture of temperate and subtropical species. Largeâ€scale warming has been detected through northward range shifts of â€˜warmâ€waterâ€™ species, and massâ€mortality events for â€˜coldâ€waterâ€™ invertebrates. Marine caves are affected in a more subtle way. By monitoring endemic species of cave mysids (Crustacea) and comparing our results with data in the literature, we observed a strong decline in one species, coupled with the success of another. Near Marseille (France), this phenomenon began while two major thermal anomalies were reported. Different tolerances to temperature were demonstrated by both the species distribution ranges and laboratory experimentation. We provide a possible physiological explanation for populations of cold stenothermal species of endemic cave mysids being replaced by congeners of warmer affinities, with a high risk of extinction. We also found strong support for the view that Mediterranean marine biodiversity is already under the threat of global warming.
- Original Version:
- Ecology Letters, Vol. 6, no. 4 (2003-03-13).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.