UVâ€“C irradiation as a tool to eradicate algae in caves
- Permanent Link:
- UVâ€“C irradiation as a tool to eradicate algae in caves
- Series Title:
- International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation
- Borderie, Fabien
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Algae ( local )
Eradication ( local )
Uvc ( local )
Photosynthetic Activity ( local )
Pigmentation ( local )
Survival Rate ( local )
Macroscopic Parameters ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Algal proliferation has commonly been reported to occur on monuments, such as crypts, churches, and caves, as soon as artificial lighting is used. In this work we study the effects of UVâ€“C irradiation on algae collected in different caves in Dordogne (southwest of France). First, the effect of UVâ€“C irradiation was tested on algal cell suspensions during increasing exposure times. After treatment, the photosynthetic capacity was assayed using a polarometric method, and algal cell viability was then estimated using a Trypan blue test after a rest period of 15 h. UVâ€“C irradiation was then studied on algal cells cultivated on a solid support consisting of pieces of calcareous stone. Drops of concentrated algal cells were inoculated on stone and exposed to UVâ€“C radiation for 3, 6, or 9 h. After this irradiation, half of the samples were submitted to a high white light intensity (1400 Î¼mol mâˆ’2 sâˆ’1 of photosynthetically active radiation, PAR) for 6 h while the other half were incubated in the culture room. Subsequently, algal macroscopic parameters such as covering rate and colonized area were measured by macro photography. Both experiments led to the conclusion that UVâ€“C irradiation has deleterious effects on photosynthetic parameters and growth of algal cells.
- Original Version:
- International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, Vol. 65, no. 4 (2011-07-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.