Gambusia georgei sp. nov. from San Marcos, Texas
- Permanent Link:
- Gambusia georgei sp. nov. from San Marcos, Texas
- Series Title:
- Hubbs, Clark
Peden, Alex E.
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH)
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Animal Fins ( local )
Elbow ( local )
Hybrid Species ( local )
Pigments ( local )
Sympatric Species ( local )
Freshwater Ecology ( local )
Genetic Hybridization ( local )
Aquatic Plants ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Three species of Gambusia occur sympatrically in the upper San Marcos River; each species occupies a specific habitat. One has not previously been noted in the literature and is herein described as Gambusia georgei. The limited hybridization with G. affinis does not seem to have reduced the specific integrity of either type. The new species is extremely rare and could be exterminated by minor habitat modifications. Gambusia georgei is a localized endemic inhabiting thermally consistent shallow water over muddy bottom with sparse aquatic vegetation in the San Marcos River. It is differentiated from all other species of Gambusia by having more than 5 segments of 4a incorporated into the elbow and by having a compound claw on the end of 4p.
- Original Version:
- Copeia, Vol. 1969, no. 2 (1969-06-03).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.