The formation of sinkholes in karst mining areas in China and some methods of prevention
- Permanent Link:
- The formation of sinkholes in karst mining areas in China and some methods of prevention
- Series Title:
- Environmental Geology
- Wanfang, Zhou
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Sinkholes ( local )
Karst Water ( local )
Mines ( local )
China ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Mining of coal, lead and zinc, gold, and iron ore deposits in karst areas has been closely associated with sinkholes in China. Surface collapse causes an increase in mine water drainage and the possibility of major water inflow from karst aquifers, which threatens the environment in mining areas and endangers mine safety. The origin of such sinkholes is analyzed quantitatively in this paper and a combination of factors including soil weight, buoyancy, suffosion process and vacuum suction can contribute to surface subsidence. The key measures to prevent sinkholes in mining areas are to control the amount of mine drainage, reduce water-level fluctuation, seal off karst conduits and subsurface cavities in the overlying soil, prevent water inflow, and to increase gas pressure in the karst conduits.
- Original Version:
- Environmental Geology, Vol. 31, no. 1-2 (1997-05-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.