Remediation of a Sinkhole Induced by Quarrying
- Permanent Link:
- Remediation of a Sinkhole Induced by Quarrying
- Abkemeier, Thomas J.
Stephenson, Richard W.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Sinkhole ( local )
Remediation ( local )
Quarrying ( local )
Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Track ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- On the morning of April 28, 1997, a sinkhole developed beneath a Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway track. The sinkhole caused the derailment of 22 railroad cars, spilling diesel fuel from the engines that ignited, resulting in a fire and injuries to railroad personnel. Railroad personnel filled the sinkhole with about 500 cubic yards of rock fill, and traffic resumed while a subsurface study was carried out. The study resulted in a grouting program where 40 to 50 cubic yards of grout were injected into the subsurface. In August of 1999, the track subsided again. A second investigation conducted in October 1999, involved a tomographic imaging survey to define weaker zones beneath the track that may have contributed to the August ground movement. A much more extensive grouting program followed this study in April 2000. A total of 2746 cubic feet of neat cement/fly ash grout and 162 cubic feet of sand-cement/fly ash grout were injected into the underlying bedrock. In July of 2000 another and larger subsidence occurred, and a second tomographic imaging survey was conducted. In April of 2002, the sinkhole reactivated and continuing movement occurred over a period of weeks. About this time, a large volume of sand-laden water was reported entering the adjacent quarry. A third grouting program was conducted and involved injection of cement, chemical, and hot asphalt grouts. The grouting appears to have arrested both the subsidence as well as the inflow of water into the quarry.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.