Geological hazards from salt mining, brine extraction and natural salt dissolution in the UK
- Permanent Link:
- Geological hazards from salt mining, brine extraction and natural salt dissolution in the UK
- Series Title:
- Engineering Geology Special Publications
- Cooper, Anthony H.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Geological Hazards ( local )
Salt Mining ( local )
Brine Extraction ( local )
Natural Salt Dissolution ( local )
Uk ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Salt mining along with natural and human-induced salt dissolution affects the ground over Permian and Triassic strata in the UK. In England, subsidence caused by salt mining, brine extraction and natural dissolution is known to have occurred in parts of Cheshire (including Northwich, Nantwich, Middlewich), Stafford, Blackpool, Preesall, Droitwich and Teeside/Middlesbrough; it also occurs around Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland. Subsidence ranges from rapid and catastrophic failure to gentle sagging of the ground, both forms being problematical for development, drainage and the installation of assets and infrastructure such as ground source heat pumps. This paper reviews the areas affected by salt subsidence and details the mitigation measures that have been used; the implications for planning in such areas are also considered.
- Original Version:
- Engineering Geology Special Publications, Vol. 29 (2020).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.