Investigation about the Recharge Sources of PoÃ§emi Springs in Albania by Means of Environmental Hydrochemical Tracers
- Permanent Link:
- Investigation about the Recharge Sources of Poçemi Springs in Albania by Means of Environmental Hydrochemical Tracers
- Eftimi, Romeo
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Environmental Hydrochemical And Isotope Tracers ( local )
Groundwater Recharge ( local )
Groundwater Mixing ( local )
Karst Spring ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Because a connection between the Poçemi springs and Vjosa River in South Albania was suspected, the determination of the origin of springs was of a particular interest for the high dam proposed to be constructed on Vjosa River valley, about 2.0 km south to these springs. Environmental hydrochemical and isotope tracers are successfully applied to establish the possible connection between Poçemi springs and Vjosa River. A program of independent hydrochemical was conducted for a period of nearly two years. Sulfate ion (SO 4) was used as a specific tracer, but conductivity is also indicative. This was facilitated by the relatively high SO 4-concentration in Vjosa River than the SO 4 concentration of the karst groundwater recharging the local spring. It resulted that about of 80 % of the water discharged by the Poçemi springs is recharged from Vjosa River and about 20 % is locally recharged. The results of hydrochemical investigations are in very good harmony with the results obtained from the environmental isotope methods.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.