Anthropogenic use, modification, and preservation of coastal cave resources in Puerto Rico
- Permanent Link:
- Anthropogenic use, modification, and preservation of coastal cave resources in Puerto Rico
- Series Title:
- Journal of island and coastal archaeology
- Lace, Michael J.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Caves ( lcsh )
Karst ( lcsh )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- North and Central America -- United States -- Puerto Rico
- Coastal caves throughout the Caribbean basin have provided critical environmental settings for diverse human activities spanning many cultural periods and have ranged from ceremonial, mortuary or ritualistic applications to the practical uses of such shoreline structures within the context of past subsistence strategies and subsequent post-contact commercial exploitation. Coastal caves can harbor significant cultural resources, serving as repositories of archaeological and historical materials as well as providing critical physiographic components of cultural development in the Puerto Rican islands. However, anthropogenic uses of coastal cave sites of the Puerto Rico mainland have received limited attention in comparison to the numerous archeologically and geologically significant cave and karst sites located in the island interior. The comparative distribution and diversity of coastal cave rock art forms can serve as indicators of anthropogenic uses, forming an important baseline data set contributing to a more complete understanding of long-term cultural uses of littoral sites. This study integrates an overview of anthropogenic influences on Puerto Rican coastal karst landforms with their distinctive geomorphologies, correlating defined examples of cave structures with associated pre-contact and post-contact uses, contemporary human impact, and applied management/preservation strategies.
- Original Version:
- Volume 7, Issue 3
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- K26-05454 ( USFLDC DOI )
k26.5454 ( USFLDC Handle )
Download Options [CUSTOM IMAGE]close
No images are available for this item.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.