â€˜Who do you want to kill?â€™ Affectual and relational understandings at a sorcery rock art site in the southwest Gulf of Carpentaria, northern Australia
- Permanent Link:
- â€˜Who do you want to kill?â€™ Affectual and relational understandings at a sorcery rock art site in the southwest Gulf of Carpentaria, northern Australia
- Series Title:
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Brady, Liam M.
Bradley, John J.
- Publication Date:
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This article explores the affectual and relational contexts in which rock art is embedded through an exploration of the encounters, reactions, and responses to a wellâ€known sorcery rock art site known as Kurrmurnnyini in northern Australia's southwest Gulf country. These encounters with a culturally powerful place, and the emotions derived from people's personal memories and experiences of Kurrmurnnyini and its sorceryâ€infused rock art, are vital to establishing an understanding of contemporary perceptions of what is clearly more than an â€˜archaeological siteâ€™. We contend that by turning our attention to the oftenâ€overlooked affectual and relational dimensions of rock art and the contexts in which it is found, researchers place themselves in a better position to access and become aware of the agency and affect of graphic imagery as well as the significance these powerful images and places hold for people today.
- Original Version:
- Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, Vol. 22, no. 4 (2016-10-21).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.