The Red Linear Style Pictographs of the Lower Pecos River Region, Texas
- Permanent Link:
- The Red Linear Style Pictographs of the Lower Pecos River Region, Texas
- Series Title:
- Plains Anthropologist
- A. Turpin, Solveig
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Red Linear ( local )
Rock Art ( local )
Lower Pecos River ( local )
Texas ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Red Linear rock art is one of three prehistoric styles defined in the Lower Pecos River Region of southwest Texas. This miniature, monochrome style, characterized by diminutive stick figures engaged in coherent group activities, has been identified at eight sites. Intangible aspects of culture reflected in the pictographs include ranking in social status, ritual and economic practices, warfare and hunting strategies, sex-specific division of society, sympathetic magic, and a selective perception of the environment. A description of the salient attributes, an estimate of Late Archaic age, and an interpretation of its possible function as ritual art are presented as a framework for future reference. The hypothesis that this style is intrusive is based on its divergence from classic Pecos River style art, the dominant regional form. The vulnerability of this miniature form to total destruction presents an impelling need for the recording of additional examples.
- Original Version:
- Plains Anthropologist, Vol. 29, no. 105 (1984).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.