Columbia Restaurant / Gonzmart family collection
- Permanent Link:
- Columbia Restaurant / Gonzmart family collection
- Portion of title:
- Gonzmart family collection
- Gonzmart family
- Physical Description:
- 19 linear ft. (23 boxes) : ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Restaurants -- Florida -- Tampa ( lcsh )
Restaurateurs -- Florida -- Tampa ( lcsh )
- Scope and Content:
- Family materials and records of the Columbia Restaurant.
- Preferred Citation:
- Columbia Restaurant / Gonzmart family collection, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
- Opened in 1903 and operated by the same family since 1905, the Columbia Spanish Restaurant is one of the oldest restaurants in Florida and one of the largest Spanish restaurants in the nation. With humble beginnings as a cafÃ© and saloon in Ybor City, the Hernandez and Gonzmart families expanded the business, first into adjacent space on its city block, and later opened restaurants around the state. The Columbia is most notable for how it evolved and adapted with the changing developments in Ybor City. Acquired by Casimiro Hernandez Sr. in 1905 from a Mr. Vasquez, Hernandez cultivated a solid business and bought the property in 1912. The Saloon Columbia quickly became the expanded Columbia Restaurant with the help of new partners (the Garcias of neighboring La Fonda Restaurant) at the onset of state and federal Prohibition laws. During the 1930s, the Columbiaââ‚¬â„¢s Don Quixote dining room cashed in on the popularity of entertainment for dating couples, especially dancing to the accompaniment of orchestras and big bands. The dining room was the brainchild of Casimiro Hernandez Jr., who took over operations in the 1930s. During the 1950s and 60s, the Columbia became a regular stop on the Latin American entertainment circuit with the help of violinist Cesar Gonzmart, who joined the Hernandez family with his marriage to Adela Hernandez, daughter of Casimiro Jr. Cesarsââ‚¬â„¢ focus on entertainment, publicity, and tourism helped maintain business while Ybor City slid into decline, and the Columbia gained a reputation as a ââ‚¬Å“tourist trap.ââ‚¬Â Breakfast and lunch service fell by the wayside in favor of more glamorous dinner shows. Middle American favorites such as hamburgers, pork chops, and steaks were added to the Spanish/Cuban menu, and Italian specialties were gradually phased out.
- Expansion began with a Sarasota Columbia in the 1950s, and expansion began in earnest during the 1980s. Adela Gonzmart and Ferdie Pachecoââ‚¬â„¢s Columbia Restaurant Spanish Cookbook (University Press of Florida, 1995) brought acclaim in the mid 1990s. After the death of Cesar Gonzmart in 1992, his sons Richard and Casey took over the operations of the Columbia Restaurant Group. They continued to expand locations and renovated the Ybor City locationââ‚¬â„¢s kitchen, finishing the multimillion dollar project as the 21st century began. The restaurant celebrated its centennial anniversary in 2005. The Columbia Restaurant Centennial Museum opened in a nearby property in 2004, showcasing the Gonzmart familyââ‚¬â„¢s extensive antique collection until 2006. In 2009, the comprehensive history of the restaurant was published (University Press of Florida), authored by USF Special Collections Archivist Andrew Huse.
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- 030814667 ( ALEPH )
819443573 ( OCLC )
COLUMBIA-GONZMART ( USFLDC AGGCODE )
- Mixed Material
No images are available for this item.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.