Florida Legislative Investigation Committee (Johns Committee) archive
- Permanent Link:
- Florida Legislative Investigation Committee (Johns Committee) archive
- University of South Florida Libraries -- Digital Collections
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resouce : ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- History -- Tampa -- Florida ( lcsh )
Academic freedom -- Tampa -- Florida ( lcsh )
- non-fiction ( marcgt )
- This digital collection contains University of South Florida archives related to the Florida Legislative Investigation Committee (also known as the Johns Committee in reference to its first chairman Charley Johns). The Johns Committee was commissioned by the Florida Legislature in 1956 to investigate "anti-American" activities, not unlike similar investigations during the McCarthy era, and to identify and potentially eliminate homosexual influences from Florida government and education. The official mandate was to "investigate all organizations whose principles or activities include a course of conduct on the part of any person or group which could constitute violence, or a violation of the laws of the state, or would be inimical to the well being and orderly pursuit of their personal and business activities by the majority of the citizens of this state." The Committee was disbanded on July 1, 1965 after the Florida Legislature discontinued funding. The official Committee documents are available for viewing at the Florida State Archives in Tallahassee.
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- 036282098 ( ALEPH )
1045799255 ( OCLC )
JOHNSCOMMITTEE ( USFLDC AGGCODE )
No images are available for this item.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.